With the advent of laser technologies in cosmetology, many procedures began to be performed easily. The word "laser" is an acronym (a kind of abbreviation), which in Russian has long ago become an independent word. Literally, "laser" means a light source with a high energy, which can be focused and converted into a narrow beam. One of the methods of laser technology in cosmetology is laser hair removal.
Laser epilation is one of the fastest and most effective ways to remove excess hair once and for all. In just a few procedures, you can achieve a smooth and delicate skin almost anywhere on the face and body. With all the requirements for the procedure, it is absolutely safe and does not harm the health.
Under the influence of a laser beam passing through the trunk of the hair, the cells containing melanin are heated and the subsequent destruction of the hair follicle occurs. Skin covers, in this case, are not damaged, but slightly heated and quickly cool. Laser hair removal allows you to remove only those hairs that grow by 3-5 mm and are visible on the surface, that is, they are in the active growth phase (anagen). But there are always "spare" or sleeping hair follicles that enter the anagen phase after the procedures, so several sessions are required to completely remove unwanted hair.
As with every procedure, this method with its application immediately showed the pros and cons, which you should know about before the sessions. The main disadvantage of laser hair removal is the obligatory contrast of hair and skin, so that the melanin contained in the hair, and not in the skin, absorbs laser radiation.
So, for example, in the case of dark hair on dark skin or light (red) hair on light skin, the desired effect is almost not achieved. To obtain the effect, dark (dark-brown) hair on light skin is needed, then the laser beam will be absorbed by the hair. But today you can solve these problems, for this, you just need to choose the required type of laser exposure. Laser installations of the last generation operate on a diode laser, in the range of which both any type of skin and any hair color (except gray hair). Unfortunately, there are not so many centers offering diode laser hair removal services.
The relative disadvantage is the cost of the procedure, but if you consider that the effect of laser hair removal is a complete lack of hair, then the minus may seem a big plus.
· Lack of strong pain during the procedure.
· No skin lesions in the form of scars and scars.
· Long-term effect of the course (up to 6 years), and in the case of an ideal contrast of hair with the skin - getting rid of them forever.
· A short duration of the epilation session in time.
The preparation is that the patient needs to grow hair at least 3-5 mm (in areas where other methods of depilation or depilation have previously been used). Choosing a length of 3-5 mm is also not accidental since it is in this case that the effectiveness and painlessness of the procedure can be guaranteed.
Small areas of the skin are irradiated by the laser for a certain period of time. For example, the zone of "antennae" is processed only 10-12 minutes, the bikini zone - 10-15 minutes and so on. The maximum time takes the treatment of the hips - 1 hour.
In patients with high pain threshold, laser hair removal can be performed without anesthesia, but there are patients with a low pain threshold that cannot tolerate even a small pain. In this case, the area of action is treated with gel with lidocaine.
In addition, modern laser systems are equipped with nozzles, through which the skin is cooled during manipulation, which reduces its sensitivity. During hair removal, the eyes should be protected with dark glasses.
Many patients and especially men are interested not only in the question of possible pain sensations but also about the consequences of this procedure. The occurrence of undesirable consequences of laser hair removal depends on the susceptibility of the skin and the presence of allergic reactions in the patient. In these cases on the skin can occur hyperemia, which disappears for several days?
In addition to redness, patients sometimes complain of the appearance of swelling or bruising, as well as traces of burns in the form of blisters. The reasons for this are two - the recent and intense tanning, and the unprofessionalism of the doctor-cosmetologist. Both reasons are completely eliminated. Tanned skin and so received a large dose of ultraviolet radiation and another stream of light can damage it, so after the tanning procedure cannot be done.
In the second case, an undesirable outcome can be prevented if one approaches salon and specialist selection, guided by the experience of the cosmetologist and the level of his professionalism, and not by a cheap and affordable price.
It should be mentioned about patients with increased vegetation on the skin caused by hormonal disorders. To laser or any other type of hair removal helped to cope with the problem, it is necessary to eliminate its primary source, namely, hormonal imbalance. Otherwise, the hair will grow again, even after several sessions. With the help of a laser, one can achieve only the softness of hairs (with hirsutism).
To avoid the appearance of swelling and redness, the cosmetologist immediately after laser hair removal applies a special remedy, which reduces skin irritation. It is also necessary to apply a cream or lotion on the skin for several days in order to nourish and soften it. Even in case of occurrence of traces from burns (that happens very seldom), it is necessary to use a special healing ointment (beepantene, panthenol, and others). If all the prescriptions are followed, the complications take place after 7-10 days.
After laser hair removal also the following actions are not recommended:
· Sunbathe in the sun and visit the sauna, sauna, and solarium.
· Take antibiotics, hormones, neuroleptics, sulfonamide and other medications.
· Rip off the crusts from burns so that there are no foci of hyperpigmentation or scars.
· Go outdoors in sunny weather without applying sunscreen with SPF-protection of at least 30 units.
The main difference in laser installations used in cosmetology is the wavelength. It is the wavelength that determines the final result and the desired effect.
1. Epilation with the diode laser (diode laser hair removal). The wavelength of the diode laser is 810 nm. It is used not only for hair removal with any type of skin but also for the treatment of hirsutism (hard hair) and hypertrichosis (excessive hair growth). At the same time, hard hair becomes soft and imperceptible, and soft hair disappears.
2. Laser epilation with alexandrite laser. The wavelength is not more than 755 nm. Its use is depilation of light and red hair, especially if the skin has increased sensitivity. Its other application is the removal of tattoos and foci of hyperpigmentation.
3. Laser hair removal with neodymium laser. The wavelength of this laser is 1063 nm, and the laser beam has infrared light. The area of application is depilation of dark hair on the swarthy or tanned skin, as well as removal of cuperose (mesh of capillaries), treatment of acne and correction of scars.
4. Ruby laser. The wavelength is 694 nm. The field of application is the depilation of dark hair on light skin, as well as the removal of pigmentation and tattoos made with multicolored and saturated colors.
Frequently asked Questions:
1. Photoepilation or laser hair removal: which is better? Photoepilation is a method of laser action, in which beams of a wide spectrum of waves are used - from 400 to 1200 nm. The procedures are similar, but photoepilation is a more universal method and is used where a more intensive level of exposure is required.
2. Electrolysis or laser hair removal: what to choose? These are completely different procedures by which you can achieve the desired effect. Electrolysis is more suitable for patients with fair skin and light (red) hair.
3. Is laser hair removal done during pregnancy? It is best during pregnancy not to carry out any manipulation, including even the most innocuous cosmetic. This is due to the fact that long-term results after them are not tracked on women and children, and during pregnancy the intervention in the natural process of pregnancy is traditionally reduced to zero.
4. Is laser hair removal harmful? The procedure of laser hair removal is harmful no more than a visit to the solarium.
5. Does hair disappear forever? Yes, but for this purpose the skin should be light, and the hair is dark to create a contrast between them and all the rays were absorbed by dark hair with high pigment content of melanin.
6. How many procedures should I do to completely remove hair? The number of procedures in each case is determined by the doctor-cosmetologist strictly individually. To remove small vegetation, 1 to 3 procedures are enough, and with strong hair growth it can take from 6 to 10 sessions.
7. Which laser is better for epilation? The type of laser is selected in each case individually, taking into account the type of skin, its color and the condition of the hair.